The purpose of an Advisory Board
To me the purpose of an advisory board is to bring together different skill sets and personalities to not only assist and support you, the business owner, but also to challenge you and the status quo, to make you think outside the square, outside your industry and outside your area of knowledge, expertise or comfort.
If an SME doesn’t have an advisory board, they should be seriously considering the benefits of what an advisory board can bring to their business – and who/what expertise they should have on their board. Get the right expertise on your board, and the benefits of having these expertise in a collaborative environment far outweigh the cost.
So the benefits to you of having me, David Espiner, on your Advisory Board are:
1.The critical skill gap I fill at your table
Expertise in the most under rated, overlooked and under represented, yet most critical, areas of any business, of any size, in any industry – its culture, brand, employees and customers. Nearly every business owner (especially the successful ones) will tell you that their culture, brand, employees and customers are right up there on their “greatest assets” list – yet If you look around at most board tables and advisory boards they are usually sadly lacking expertise in these critical areas, or they are “covered” part time by someone who’s role is the closest fit.
And that is a gap I can fill and benefit I can bring to your advisory board – I make sure these 3 critical areas of business are not just represented and also considered in every important business decision, but over time this will create a point of difference for your business.
2.Our rare mix of skills
In addition to the “intangible” skills we bring to the table, I also bring 30+ years of chartered accountancy and business / improvement skills.
I am a Qualified Chartered Accountant and Public Practice certificate holder (since July 1987) and have practical experience and knowledge in nearly every area of business development and improvement. As a SME owner myself, I totally understand and appreciate the challenges and pressures you face running a SME.
3.We are business improvement specialists – not industry specialists.
Hopefully you will already have the industry expertise within your business, advisory board or network, so you don’t need more of the same.
I don’t believe in the “that won’t work in my industry” or “our industry is different” lines. I believe when you see a great idea or opportunity, regardless of the industry or business, you need to first ask “how can I make this work in my business.”
Because we don’t specialise in any one industry we don’t come in with blinkers on, with pre conceived ideas of what will or won’t work in your industry or business.
So if you are looking for someone on your advisory board who will bring:
- Expertise and passion for the critical intangible areas of your business – your culture, brand, employee engagement and customer experience.
- 30+ years’ experience in the business advisory and chartered accounting sector – a lengthy and wide experience in the full spectrum of business advisory services for SME’s that would involve killing too many trees to list here.
- Qualified Chartered Accountant and Public Practice certificate holder (since July 1987)
- A rare mix of skills and expertise that to the best of my knowledge no other competitor has.
- A relentless, yet constructive, ally for you and the areas I represent at the table
- A practical, simple and personable approach to business improvement.
- A passion for seeing clients succeed.
- A personable and relaxed professionalism – you can be professional without a suit.
- A win win conciliatory approach to discussions and decisions – the ability to see both sides.
- A healthy dissatisfaction for the status quo
- An ethical and values based approach
- A sense of humour – after all business should be enjoyable
then don’t hesitate to give me a call to have a chat.
Why do I do what I do?
My purpose is “to have a positive impact on the long-term growth and sustainability of each and every client we work with and contribute to the economic vitality of our local communities”.